Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Beautiful day today - riding up towards Mt. Hood







I felt much more energetic today (and the sun came out about 11:00!). I'm wiped out now, of course, after 78 very hard miles, but we saw some great scenery. We are in Welches, OR at Resort at the Mountain (http://www.theresort.com/). Beautiful place. I have to explain that my bicycle is a "work mule" - very tough, but not fast. I have a steel frame, with 26" tires, while nearly everyone on the trip has very fast "race horse" bicycles - with larger wheel, skinny tires, and frame made of titanium or carbon fiber (maybe 3 times lighter than my bike). I can take bumps and rough roads better than them (although I did have my first flat today), but their bikes are fast (plus, they are just in better shape, I admit). But event though I gave myself the nickname "The Tortoise" I get there eventually. But, I do have to work harder.......(last complaint). The youngest rider is a 16-year old guy riding a tandem bike with his 55-year old father, and they are FAST. The next youngest is a 18-year old (Alison, from Fayetteville, AR) and she is a good rider. She rides with her roommate (Katie, from NYC) and it's hard to keep up with them. Also, there is Alex, 22-yrs. old, who is with her mother from Fishers, IN. They are experienced riders. Tomorrow, we climb Mt. Hood - 16 miles UP!

1 comment:

  1. Love those puffy white clouds. Beautiful picture of Mt. Hood in the background. Wishin' I was there and strong enough to do the ride.

    ReplyDelete