Sunday, June 20, 2010

They're freaking me out now......why are we doing this??

The 4-hour orientation has worn me out. We have covered all the many things that can go wrong, all the health and medical issues and injuries, all the obstacles, challenges, mountains, things to be careful about, how to ride safely on Interstates, fixing flats, mechanical problems, all the weather challenges, clothing needs and changes, how to read the route sheets, saddle sores, overuse injuries, pushing your body past the normal limits, sore necks, sore legs, sore everything, achilles problems, dehydration, sunburn, throwing up, etc. etc. etc. I'm getting freaked out. The more they talk about all this, the more I'm wondering: Why are we all doing this?? I suddenly can't remember. The talk of the day was Dream Vs. Reality (riding a bike across country). And, yet, there are many people here who have done this before - sometimes several times. Mike Munk (the leader) has lead 37 previous bicycle trips across the USA. Many of the riders have gone on very long bike trips in the US and other countries, and they evidently love it. I just can't remember why I was so intent on doing it. But, everyone is very nice and supportive, and the staff of the company (America by Bicycle) are excellent and very well-organized and experienced. I'm sure I picked the right group to do this with.

No comments:

Post a Comment